TRC Calls to Action

I plan on implementing and applying the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada: Calls to Action 62i (2015) stating, “make age-appropriate curriculum on residential schools, Treaties, and Aboriginal peoples’ historical and contemporary contributions to Canada a mandatory education requirement for Kindergarten to Grade Twelve students” into my classroom. As I continue my never ending learning journey of becoming an educator, my primary goal is to be able to give back to the Indigenous peoples and communities something that I didn’t get a chance to experience when I was young. I want to be able create a space in which, I as an Indigenous person can implement meaningful curriculum that is based on Indigenous teachings, laws, and institutions to support our way of life, rights and title. Implementing it in a way that walks in both worlds and aligns with my educational goals to give back and support our Indigenous peoples and communities. A great resource that I will use to implement the TRC: Calls to Action 62i is, the Office of the Treaty Commissioner website and specifically, a book my late aunty, Anita Greyeyes, always envisioned, called Making the Connection: Cree First Nations Kehte-ayak Thoughts on Education (Office of the Treaty Commissioner, 2009). This resource can be used in many different territories and nations; however, some of the information doesn’t fit a specific place and one must adjust the information to fit the area that they are in. The Making the Connection book (Office of the Treaty Commissioner, 2009) explains, how Indigenous language should be central to the school’s program, how we need Elders for guidance and counselling, cultural practices and customs, the involvement of family, Indigenous world view and how to teach Treaties in the school. This is more specifically towards the Cree people, but a great resource none the less.

References:

Office of the Treaty Commissioner. (2009, June). Making the Connection: Cree First Nations Kehte-ayak Thoughts on Education. http://www.otc.ca/public/uploads/resource_photo/Making_the_Connection.pdf

Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada. (2015). Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada: Calls to Action. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/british-columbians-our-governments/indigenous-people/aboriginal-peoples-documents/calls_to_action_english2.pdf