Post Secondary Course Reflections

ANTH 2140 – Canadian Native Peoples and ANTH 4050 – Indian Reserve Communities

These classes I really enjoyed with Dr. Lisa Cooke in my undergrad, she is such an inspiring and amazing human being who really Walks in Two Worlds (Indigenous and Western) with everything she does. The classes that I had the privilege to be a part of where Indigenous focussed classes, but they aligned with my focus of creating a space that allows for more Indigenous content in my classroom. I want to be able to have the balance within in my classroom of the Indigenous ways of knowing and being with our Western Sciences. I believe this will create educated individuals of society with openness, equality, and empathy towards others.

EDTL 3200 – Teaching and Learning

Reflecting on this course, I felt like it was my most beneficial class to my understanding of where my students will be. This is where we reviewed the different assessment strategies. Prior to the class, I had minimal knowledge of what or how all these assessments were conducted. The assessment portfolio you see on my portfolio page showcases some of the strategies I had used for my lesson and unit plans. It has helped me explore the different types of strategies, such as assessment for learning, assessment as learning, summative, formative, and then having the opportunity to reflect on the assessment itself or how I am going use it. I want to be able to support my student’s growth and the assessment piece from a teacher, but also self and peer assessment is so valuable.

EDPE 3100 – Physical Education Methods

The PHE course was a great learning experience for me, being a sports and health guy for most of my life, I knew I would enjoy this class and I wanted to see the progress of the PHE application. I grew up in an era where you were either good or bad at sports and there was no in-between, plus the focus was not on physical health, it was more less just sports specific. The shift in how we should conduct our PHE class was exciting, we acknowledge all different capabilities, have the inclusion piece that has been missing for many years, and have the opportunity to reach further than just sports. Nature walks, dancing, nutrition, and so many other great pieces have been added and I feel grateful to be able to experience the movement in a good way.